Seminar “Landscape Planning - Ecological, integration of social, cultural and economic aspects“2019-09-18
Continuing the implementation of the project LLI-291 “Enhancement of Green Infrastructure in the Landscape of Lowland Rivers” (ENGRAVE) supported by the INTERREG VA Latvia-Lithuania Cross Border Cooperation Programme 2014-2020, partners from Zemgale in Bauska and Rundale region organized a two-day seminar “Landscape Planning - Ecological, integration of social, cultural and economic aspects“ on the 12-13th of Semtember. The seminar was attended by representatives of the project's Lead Partner - Zemgale Planning Region, partners - Baltic Environmental Forum, Jelgava, Bauska and Rundale municipalities, Birzai district municipality, Directorates of Birzai and Zagare Regional Parks, as well as other interested parties. During the seminar discussed the progress of the project, the preservation of cultural and natural landscape, its aspects in urban landscape planning, presented green infrastructure measures and examples not only in Latvia, but also in Estonia.
The first day of the seminar took place in Bauska (Latvia) and began with a presentation by the Bauska Municipality and an overview of the implementation of the Project LLI-291. Project coordinator Evija Erkške (Project Lead Partner Zemgale Planning Region) presented implemented project activities and their results and detailed the remaining activities to be completed in spring of 2020. Landscape architects Kintija Cirse and Lolita Hercoga from “BM-projekts presented the development of the river's cultural landscape and green infrastructure in Bauska, Jana Jakobsone from Kuldiga District Municipality gave examples of cultural heritage aspects in urban landscape planning. Seminar participants also had the opportunity to meet and visit Bauska Town Hall and take a walk along the Memele River with Inese Turkupole-Zilpure, head of the Bauska Tourism Information Center, where she presented her efforts and benefits to preserve the town's cultural heritage.
The participants of the seminar also visited Bauska Castle Museum, where Maris Skanis, Director of the Museum, spoke about the preservation of cultural heritage and historical landscape in the context of Bauska Castle. The participants of the seminar were given the opportunity to get acquainted with the history and development of Bauska Castle, the peculiarities of restoration and aspects of landscape formation. Simona Lipskyte, Assistant of Mayor of Pakruojis District Municipality, presented an example of the restoration and use of Pakruojis Manor, its adaptation to modern needs. An excursion also was organized in Bauska Castle, which was built in 1443, when the German Order, after escaping from the strengthened Grand Duchy of Lithuania, began to strengthen the southern borders of its state. The old Renaissance castle was finished to build in 1456. The castle was built of dolomite, boulders, corners of the buildings and openings made of burnt clay bricks. The tower of the castle fell several times during the construction of it. According to the legend, the builders asked help of the magician, who had advised to put something alive into the wall of the tower, who first comes to the castle. But what was the surprise of the builders, when at dawn they heard the steps and wife of the superintendent of construction brought him breakfast. Luckily a puppy ran against her. He became the guarantor of the castle tower. It is said that people can hear his voice even on the quiet summer nights. About 1518 near the castle there was already a small town Vairogmiests. However, in 1562 the castle became the capital of the German Order, so the new castle was built. 1587-1596 the castle also became the residence of Gothard Kettler, the first Duke of Courland, so the town was moved and called Bauska.
During the Northern War the castle was occupied several times by Swedes, Russians and Lithuanians. In 1706 the castle was exploded by the Russians who occupied the castle and after that, it was not rebuilt. The castle ruins started to explore by Duke Paul Lyven, the owner of these lands, around 1874. At that time the first plans of the castle were drawn. In 1973 it was decided to rebuild the castle as the only one that kind castle in Latvia. It is planned to complete the restoration of the castle in the next few years.
After the tour of Bauska Castle, Loreta Urtane, a hydrobiologist from the “Ūdensaina“ community, introduced the ecological aspects of rivers and a set of management tools to ensure the functionality of lowland green infrastructure.
The first day of the workshop ended with a meeting of the ENGRAVE Project Partners and Steering Group, where the partners discussed the project activities and problems.
The second day of the seminar was organized in Rundale. Laura Arente, Head of Rundale District Municipal Development Department, introduced Rundale Municipality and its main features. Laura Luse, director of the Rundale Palace Museum, introduced the history and evolution of the Rundale Palace ensemble and the main highlights.
The Rundale Palace ensemble is a unitary complex of a palace, stables and parko f the Baroque period, designed by the Italian architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli and takes the territory of 85 ha. It was built as a summer residence for the Duke of Courland, Ernst Johann Biron, between 1736 and 1740 and finisehd between 1764 and 1768. According to the report of gardener Christopher Weyland, between 1736 and 1739, 328185 lime-trees (Tilia) were planted to form alleys and hedges in the formal garden as well as 5005 chesnut-trees (Aesculus hippocastaneum) and 1885 oak-trees (Quercus) in the alleys surrounding it. The central alley and footpaths were also finished at that time. 95 pear-trees (Pyrus), 155 apple-trees (Malus), 40 plum-trees (Prunus) and 20 cherry-trees (Cerasus) were planted in the orchard. The digging of the three-fathom-wide and three-archine-deep canal was also started, but at that time it did not exceed 50 fathoms of the total 820. 13 alleys were created in the forest park and many trees such as lime-trees (Tilia), rowan-trees (Sorbus) and 2338 ash-trees (FRaxinus) were planted there. In 1975, the institute “Giproteatr“ in St. Petersburg (formely – Leningrad) started preparation of the park renovation plan. The survey and general plan were finished in 1976, but renovation plans for the parterre, the Green Theater and bridge – in 1977.
After discovering the most famous and impressive Rundale Municipal Cultural Heritage Complex, the Rundale Palace Ensemble, Ave Paulus, a cultural heritage specialist from Estonia, introduced the cultural heritage aspects of landscape planning in Estonia. This was followed by a stakeholder discussion on spatial planning challenges in the field of cultural heritage and nature protection, where the participants shared ideas and experiences. In the afternoon, a visit was made to the pedestrian path next to the Rundale, which was constructed as part of the ENGRAVE project, and Rundale Palace Ensemble.
Malūno g. 1, Žagarė, LT-84331, Joniškio r., tel. (8-426) 60809, fax. (8-426) 60809, e-mail email@example.com, code 193375878. Data about Directorate of Zagare Regional Park are collected and stored in the Register of Juridical persons.